Photo by Clark Street Mercantile on Unsplash
What Is eCommerce Product Information Management?
Product information management (PIM) is managing data about products, such as descriptions and images. PIM helps you to keep your product catalog up to date by automating repetitive tasks like uploading new images or updating prices. It can also improve the customer experience by allowing customers to search for products based on their needs.
For example, imagine that you’re selling shoes online at an eCommerce store called Shoes4U. If a customer searches for “black leather boots” in the search bar on your website, they should see results from all black leather boots in stock–not just one specific brand or type of shoe. This functionality makes it easier for customers shopping online because they don’t have time (or patience.) to look through thousands of products manually–they want what they want.
Why You Should Care About eCommerce Product Information Management
Why you should care about eCommerce product information management:
- Improves Product Visibility. Having the correct product data in your eCommerce platform helps boost visibility and search engine optimization, which can lead to increased sales and profit.
- Helps With SEO. Providing comprehensive, accurate information about each item means that when a customer searches for that product on Google or Bing (or any other search engine), they’ll find precisely what they’re looking for–and more importantly–they’ll be able to trust that what they see is accurate. This builds trust with potential customers and increases sales by showing them your company cares about providing good service and quality products.
The Challenges of eCommerce Product Information Management
In eCommerce, there are several challenges to managing product information. For example, suppose you’re running a B2B eCommerce site and selling products to other businesses. In that case, you’ll need to ensure that all your products are categorized correctly in the proper categories and subcategories. If an item needs to be labeled or misclassified, it could cause problems when customers try to find what they’re looking for.
Additionally, you sell both physical goods as well as digital goods (like music). In that case, all of these items need to be linked together so that customers can easily navigate between them without having too much trouble finding what they want or getting confused about what each option means exactly–especially since many people may not know much about this subject matter at all.
What to Consider When Choosing a Product Information Management Platform for Your eCommerce Business
Before you choose a product information management platform, consider the following:
- What features do you need? Do you have a small business or a large one? Will the system be used by only one person or many people across different departments? How many products will you sell, and how quickly will they be added? These are all crucial factors when choosing an eCommerce PIM solution.
- How much time can be devoted to implementing and managing this software solution? You may want something simple that takes minimal effort or something more complex with more flexibility but requires more time investment from team members who use it regularly throughout their workday.
- What budget constraints exist within your organization (or even your finances) when considering new purchases like this one?
Tips for Using an Effective PIM System to Boost Sales and Improve Customer Experience
When buying a PIM system, it’s essential to ensure it’s integrated with the other systems in your business. Your eCommerce platform should connect seamlessly with the PIM system and your ERP and POS systems.
You also need to ensure that there’s an easy way for the data from all these different sources to flow into one place so that it can be used by everyone who needs it.
An excellent example of this would be if you sell shoes online: The inventory management system would automatically pull product information from your PIM database when someone places an order through their website, and then once they receive their shipment, they’ll automatically receive an email letting them know when they can expect delivery (and how much delivery will cost).
This kind of automation helps streamline processes while saving time, meaning less stress. Plus, when customers have consistent experiences across channels like this one, they’re more likely to stay loyal because they feel like they matter individually rather than just being another number on someone else’s spreadsheet somewhere far away from where either party lives or works today.
PIM solutions can help B2B sellers eliminate incorrect and inconsistent data
- Product catalog management: A PIM solution will help you manage your product catalog, which includes all the details that make up your products. This includes a brand name, model number, color options, size choices, and other specifics related to each item you sell.
- Product content management: A PIM solution will also allow you to manage the text associated with each product in your store’s catalog–including descriptions about what makes each item unique or different from others on the market today, user reviews from customers who have already purchased one (or more) yourself through previous purchases; competitor comparison charts showing where yours ranks among similar offerings by other manufacturers.
With so much at stake, choosing the right product information management system for your business is essential. It would help to consider which features are most important to your needs and how they can be implemented within your current workflow.
By considering these factors, you’ll be able to choose the best tool for managing eCommerce product data to help boost sales and improve the customer experience while saving time and money in the long run.